Saturday, November 28, 2015

Thankful For So Many Things

This week I had a nice Thanksgiving break with my family who came up from Texas. Monday and Tuesday was a time to visit BYU campus, time to go to the temple, and visit with my mom's side of the family. We spent Thanksgiving and Friday with my dad's side of the family and ended up braving the freezing weather to see the lights on Temple Square.

I love my family and I am super grateful for them. I love the Thanksgiving holiday mostly for the attitude of gratitude that everyone gets around this season. President Uchtdorf said in his April 2014 talk that God commanded us to be thankful because He wants us to have joy. I know that to be true.

On Monday night for FHE we all sat down for a timed five minutes and wrote everything that we are grateful for. Then we went around and shared at least two things we wrote down. All the adults were saying all their unique ones like hot water for showers, or fruit smoothies, or a certain plateau. All were great, but when it came time for my little 6-year old brother to share his he shared that he was thankful for "Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and mom". It really hit me that although I had those also on my list, I needed to ask myself what really matters in life. I reflected how grateful I was for those things make the top of my list. I am grateful for the atonement, temple blessings, Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, my family and friends, the simple gospel and many more important things.

Also I love how right after Thanksgiving it is the Christmas Season. Bring on the Christmas music, yummy food, reflection on Christ, and more family get togethers!

2 comments:

  1. Amberly, it sounds like you had a wonderful break with your family! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's always nice to enjoy the break and spend time with those we love. I hope you continue to carry that joy through the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got to spend time with your family. It's super important to spend time with them and breaks are crucial for mental health. Bring on the Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete